If You Want Peace of Mind Without the Price Tag, Read On!
I know only too well how lucrative the security industry is these days. Just think about it for a moment. How many times are you caught on camera as you go about daily life? If you work in an office building, the chances are there is a surveillance system of some sort installed. When you walk into a store the same applies.
Some of us think this is the “big brother watching” approach but because I have nothing to hide, I happen to feel a lot safer as a result of what the CCTV (or closed circuit television) industry has brought to the market. This is one of the reasons I have brought this website to the internet and in the following few words I’m going to give you an insight on what you can expect from the Zmodo PKD-DK4216 500GB.
If you’re new to the idea of having a security system, the name alone can sound complicated enough but it’s actually not as hard to understand as you might think. Well, it won’t be in this review anyway because I’m not going to baffle you with a whole ton of industry jargon.
So, let’s start with what you get for your money.
What You Get In the Box
For those of you who are novices to this type of system I’m going to keep it simple. And for those of you that consider yourselves to be experts in the CCTV arena, well, you probably won’t need the technical bits and pieces anyway.
So, this is what you get in the box.
- 1 x DVR (digital video recorder) which is the hub of your surveillance system.
- 500GB hard drive (so the system can store what you’ve recorded).
- 4 x IR (infra-red) outdoor cameras
- IR remote control and mouse
- All the power cables and power supplies you need
- CD software (since this system can be used across the internet you will need this)
- User’s manual
You may have noticed I used the term “infra-red” or IR. This means the cameras you get with this system have the ability to capture video at night. They also use motion detection which I happen to think is a great feature.
Say for instance you have the cameras set-up outside your home and you’re really curious to know which neighbor’s dog is using your lawn as a toilet. Well, the minute the offending pooch wanders on to your lawn, the camera nearest will automatically detect the movement.
However, if you’re expecting professional type pictures, this surveillance system will not deliver (the price reflects that). What you can expect is the ability to recognize someone you’ve maybe seen before and you’ll definitely be able to tell the difference between a person and a dog!
The cameras are also on the small side so they won’t give you a very wide angle. But, if you position them carefully this surveillance system is great for those of you that just want some peace of mind that no-one is where they shouldn’t be, whether it’s a business premises or your home.
This is where things can get complicated. For those of you who have some knowledge of IT, installation shouldn’t be too much of an issue. However, if you intend to rely on the manual alone my advice would be to find someone who knows what they’re doing. The manual hasn’t exactly been written with novices in mind, and the pictures provided could be far better.
The manufacturer has included some additional features that amaze me considering how much this system will cost you:
- You have the ability to get snapshots anywhere from 1 – 10 minutes via email.
- It’s possible to set the system up so you can view recordings on a PC or your television.
- The system uses something called H.264 compression which helps with picture quality and the amount of overall memory you use.
- This CCTV system will also allow you to view recordings with most 3G smart phones or over the internet which is great if you’re not at the premises when you’re recording.
If you’re not looking to spend an awful lot of money, are not in a situation where you’re at risk of serious crime and just want some peace of mind this system is well worth the money. If you take a look at Amazon, you’ll actually be amazed that you get all of this for less than a DVR can cost on its own!
- Zmodo PKD-DK4216-500GB H.264 Internet & 3G Phone Accessible 4-Channel DVR with 4 Night Vision Cameras and 500 GB HD